Skip to main content

Rant:Sex Positive?


Sex Positive


If there is anything that I hate more in life it is trend following. Maybe my dislike for such attitudes comes from the rebellious days of my youth or maybe it rooted in my firm belief that trends are quite frankly stupid and sometimes can have harmful effects on some people.


Who can forget the Sex In The City great rabbit craze, most certainly I do not. At that time I worked in an Adult Store and saw many a female come in, blushing and stuttering as they asked for “that toy..you know that one that was in Sex In The City.” Insert eyes adverting in shame here.

Yes is was good that female masturbation got a positive portrayal in media. That female self pleasure was now on the lips of many, but what was horrible about that situation was the women who would return flabbergasted that the toy so raved about was actually a dud for them. A few even questioned if there was something wrong with them, maybe they were sexually defected in some way. I would quickly try my best to reassure them that no, they were not odd. That there are various different types of stimulation and what works for some may not work for others.

About the same time I kept hearing from friends about the need to be sexually promiscuous. They weren't pressuring me to fuck a lot, I already was and they knew that. They were talking about themselves. A combination of media hype in female oriented magazines and maybe even due to some of my own colorful stories they felt that they were lacking in sexual experience. Never mind the fact that for them a hedonistic lifestyle was not something that they truly desired, they just felt pressured to do it.

I remember asking them if they were happy and satisfied with their current sex lives. They would usually answer yes, and a few were even honest to admit that they were only tempted because a magazine article that they had read had said that a woman in charge of her sexuality does XYZ.

In return I would quickly point out that no, a woman who is charge of her sexuality does what she wants not what others say she should. That as long as one is happy, comfortable and satisfied with their sexuality there is no reason to step outside their comfort zone and engage in behavior that is not something they actually want to do. I would council them into doing what they wanted to do not what others said they should do.

In the sex blogging sphere there is a tendency to use the term Sex Positive. Is has become a trend of sorts for bloggers to tag their blogs with that phrase, yet many of these same bloggers screaming the term often times come across as arrogant ( I know more, therefore I know what is best for you) or question readers about the “standards” of a readers view or experience. A few have even gone so far as to actually question if another is abnormal because they don't enjoy some sexual act or sexual aids. Or applying pressure (subtly but still pressure none the less) to engage in everything from open relationships, having multiple partners, BDSM to entrusting our pleasure to be in their hands because they know what will work for us. Ahhh how the hell is this being sex positive.

I have even encountered one blogger that is so arrogant, so fucking pretentious that I can't help but laugh knowing that they are eventually going to crash and burn in this industry  when others see the self righteous tone flimsily hidden under the guise of helping others.

Being sex positive is not only about promoting and exploring your own sexuality is a healthy, safe and non judgmental way but also recognizing that different people have different preferences, wants, and needs and being non judging in situations where you encounter those people that are different then yourself. As a sex positive blogger you should focus on sex education, safety and understand that as long as all parties are consenting that you shouldn't judge. Not screaming how your sexual preferences are right and everyone else is wrong. There is nothing wrong with promoting your own sexual lifestyle, the problem is when you treat yours as the only correct one. 

You should be a voice of empowerment, helping and supporting others in the recognizing what is right for them,  encouraging them to be true to themselves and not fold under pressure to engage in activities that are wrong for them or not something that they like.

I am not even going to touch upon the misandry that permeates in many of the blogs but I will say this, empowering one gender by bashing another is not empowerment. It is marginalizing others in an attempt to make one seem more superior when in reality we are all pretty much equal. You can empower one and not have to paint the others in a negative light.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pink Cherry Review

Better, more detailed and 100% accurate as to my experience with the company! First off let me begin by stating that I live in the United States and that Pink Cherry is a Canadian based company. At first I was slightly hesitant to order from them, my main issue was shipping. I was afraid that it would take a long time to receive my package and/or that the free shipping offer was not valid on orders destined to the US. Well my fears were not justified. I have ordered from them a total of three times so far and each time I have received my order within a week. I also was able to receive free shipping on all orders for ordering over a certain amount. But more on all that later.

Review:Adam&Eve

Adam & Eve At one time this was my go to company when I felt like expanding my toy collection. Over time this has slowly changed. While they are still the most widely recognized sex toy company their quality and customer service sadly have gone down over the years. Their site is easy to navigate and neatly arranged so that buyers can easily find products that they are looking for. They offer free shipping on orders that are $69 or more(Just remember to enter code 69SHIP), and any order over $17 is eligible to receive a free gift. The free item is either a mystery DVD or sex toy. Their shipping is discrete as stated on their website, your order will either arrive in a plain envelope or simple brown box. Front of evelope. Back of envelope. Before sending others to their site I always warn them of a few things. While they may carry a wide variety of sexual toys and are name that many people recognize there are some major drawbacks to ordering from them. First off their order pr

Sex Toy Storage

Yes I know, many other people have written about the different ways to store sex toys from prying eyes. While most have centered on the purchase of actual storage containers/boxes that are specifically marketed towards the storage of vibrators and dildos, few have taken into account the cost that may associated with.